If you’re getting ready for college, a career, or other parts of post high school life, check out some of these resources. Inside the library, you can visit our test prep section for books on the SAT and ACT, AP exams, college guides, financial aid and paying for college, scholarships, how to find the right college, and career guides.
College & Test Prep Books
500 SAT Math Questions to Know by Test Day
All the SAT math problem-solving practice you'll need
Achieve your highest score with 500 SAT Math Questions to Know by Test Day, Third Edition. This book is packed with the latest SAT style questions covering all the essential math topics you'll see on the exam, accompanied by answers and detailed explanations for clarity. It's the perfect way to sharpen your skills and build your confidence for test day.
Organized by subject for easy reference, 500 Math Questions to Know by Test Day provides excellent practice to help you make the most of your review time. With small bits of information presented for quick and easy review, this essential study guide is helpful for all types of students, whether you're looking for a thorough refresh of topics or need extra help understanding specific question types.
- 500 SAT math questions and answers organized by subject
- Bonus 20-question diagnostic quiz tests your knowledge upfront on different SAT math topics
- Written to parallel the topics and format of the latest SAT math questions
- Thorough answer explanations with step-by-step solutions
- Ideal and effective practice to help you build the skills you need
- Information on test design includes test categories and question-types
- Small bits of practice make review simple, allowing you to go at your own pace and track your progress accordingly
Paying for College 2023
A SMARTER WAY TO PAY FOR COLLEGE. Take control of your financial aid experience with this essential guide--the only annual guidebook with line-by-line instructions for completing the FAFSA aid forms!
Financing a college education is a daunting task no matter what your circumstances. With line-by-line instructions for filling out the FAFSA and consumer-friendly advice to minimize college costs, Paying for College helps you take control of your experience and:
- Maximize your financial aid eligibility
- Learn how COVID-19 and the latest tax laws affect the financing of your college education
- Explore long- and short-term strategies to reduce college costs and avoid expensive mistakes
- Complete every question on the FAFSA and CSS Profile forms to your best advantage
- Compare aid offers and learn how to appeal them if necessary
- Plan strategically as a separated/divorced parent, blended family, or independent student
"A first-rate guide through the financial aid maze."—Lynn Brenner, Newsday
"Can save thousands in college bills."—John Wasik, Forbes
Colleges Worth Your Money
Colleges Worth Your Money: A Guide to What America's Top Schools Can Do for You is an invaluable guide for students making the crucial decision of where to attend college when our thinking about higher education is radically changing. At a time when costs are soaring and competition for admission is higher than ever, the college-bound need to know how prospective schools will benefit them both as students and after graduation. Colleges Worth Your Money provides the most up-to-date, accurate, and comprehensive information for gauging the ROI of America’s top schools, including:
- In-depth profiles of 200 of the top colleges and universities across the U.S.
- Over 75 key statistics about each school that cover unique admissions-related data points such as gender-specific acceptance rates, early decision acceptance rates, and five-year admissions trends at each college
- The solid facts on career outcomes, including the school’s connections with recruiters, the rate of employment post-graduation, where students land internships, the companies most likely to hire students from a particular school, and much more
- Data and commentary on each college’s merit and need-based aid awards, average student debt, and starting salary outcomes
- Top Colleges for America’s Top Majors lists highlighting schools that have the best programs in 40+ disciplines
- Lists of the “Top Feeder” undergraduate colleges into medical school, law school, tech, journalism, Wall Street, engineering, and more
The Recruit's Playbook
The Definitive Guide to Football Recruiting
“After reading this book, one will have the confidence to make the best choice and be ready to succeed knowing they have already received the most valuable information there is.” ―Kirk Morrison, former NFL player, ESPN college football broadcaster, ESPN Los Angeles radio host
This all-in-one game plan for young football players in search of a collegiate scholarship takes a deep dive into demystifying the football recruiting process.
Your play-by-play guide to scoring big. The Recruit’s Playbook is written to help guide preteens and teenage boys through their journey from high school football to college football. As an alumni NFL draft pick turned D1 college football coach, author Larry Hart utilizes his vast knowledge of the sport to help guide you through 9th to 12th grade, highlighting what to do and when to do it. It is one of the first college football books of its kind, aimed to help high school athletes navigate college football recruiting. Through clear and effective information that is easy to follow, The Recruit’s Playbook helps high school athletes each step of the way.
Be the best athlete you can be. Coach Hart offers a holistic approach to being a top athlete and prospect. From setting goals effectively, prioritizing academic skills, self-advocacy, asking the right questions, building your brand, establishing an online presence, overcoming adversity, and “pro tips”—this playbook has you covered.
In this book you’ll also find:
- An exclusive look into the football recruiting process
- Practical tips on how to balance an increasingly demanding teenage life
- Expert advice on how to be a standout NCAA football recruiting prospect
If you enjoyed books like The Young Champion's Mind: How to Think, Train, & Thrive Like an Elite Athlete, Shoot Your Shot, or Trust the Grind, then you’ll love The Recruit’s Playbook.
The Ultimate Scholarship Book 2023
Information on 1.5 million scholarships, grants, and prizes is easily accessible in this revised directory with more than 300 new listings that feature awards indexed by career goal, major, academics, public service, talent, athletics, religion, ethnicity, and more. Each entry contains all the necessary information for students and parents to complete the application process, including eligibility requirements, how to obtain an application, how to get more information about each award, sponsor website listings, award amounts, and key deadlines. With scholarships for high school, college, graduate, and adult students, this guide also includes tips on how to conduct the most effective search, how to write a winning application, and how to avoid scams.
The Best 387 Colleges 2022
NO ONE KNOWS COLLEGES LIKE THE PRINCETON REVIEW! This comprehensive guide to the nation's best colleges provides in-depth profiles on schools and tons of helpful student-driven details that will help you or your student choose their best-fit colleges!
The Princeton Review's college rankings started in 1992 with surveys from 30,000 students. 30 years and more than a million student surveys later, we stand by our claim that there is no single "best" college, only the best college for you ... and that this is the book that will help you find it!
STRAIGHT FROM STUDENTS TO YOU
- 387 in-depth school profiles based on candid feedback from 154,000 students, covering academics, administration, campus life, and financial aid
- Insights on unique college character, social scene, and more
LISTS & RATINGS SCORES
- Lists of great colleges in 26 popular categories that have continually appeared in our best-of ranking lists over the last 30 years, including academics, campus life, facilities, and more
- Ratings for every school on Financial Aid, Selectivity, and Quality of Life
DETAILED ADMISSIONS INFORMATION
- The "Inside Word" on competitive applications, test scores, tuition, and average indebtedness
- Comprehensive information on selectivity, freshman profiles, and application deadlines at each school
Plus! Free access to 2 full-length practice tests online (1 SAT and 1 ACT) to help you prep for the important admissions-exams part of your admissions journey.
Bound-for-Career Guidebook: A Student Guide to Career Exploration, Decision Making, and the Job Search
The Bound-for-Career Guidebook views career identification, selection, entry, and progression as part of a larger developmental process—the career development process. In this guidebook for adolescents and young adults, the author outlines the experiences and tasks that will facilitate the career development process and lead to satisfaction and success. The reader will be exposed to the various educational and career transitions they must consider on the path to the workplace and specific guidance is offered on how to maximize entry and advancement.
Along the career exploration, decision-making, and preparation path, the author answers frequently asked questions and offers an array of facts and myths that need to be considered. Empowered individuals are better able to guide themselves through their personal career journey. The reader’s command of the information in the Bound-for-Career Guidebook will give them that power!
A Guide to Writing College Admissions Essays
This book is a guide for students writing their college admissions essays, primarily the 650-word Common App essay and supplementary essays that many schools require as part of their admission applications. With more students applying to college, and those students applying to more schools than ever before, college admission selection is far more competitive than in the past and the college essay is a key component.
We offer suggestions on good topics to write about without getting too specific (and just as importantly what not to write about), vital tips on writing approach, grammar, and usage. This guide can be for anyone who wants to write better, more clearly and crisply. If used properly, this book will help you craft a readable, interesting essay that will attract the college admissions reader by giving you a creative voice and the means to express yourself. No guarantees, but it just might make a difference in the final admission process.
Princeton Review PSAT/NMSQT Prep 2021
THE PRINCETON REVIEW GETS RESULTS. Get all the prep you need to ace the PSAT/NMSQT with 3 full-length practice tests, thorough PSAT topic reviews, and everything you need to know about National Merit Scholarships.
Techniques That Actually Work.
• Time-saving tips to help you effectively tackle the exam
• Problem-solving tactics demonstrated on the trickiest test questions
• Point-earning strategies for multiple-choice questions
Everything You Need to Know to Help Achieve a High Score.
• Up-to-date information on the PSAT/NMSQT
• Comprehensive review for every section of the test
• Key information and advice about National Merit Scholarships and the College Board's Opportunity Scholarships
• Special section on additional math topics to ensure you have all the practice and review you need
Practice Your Way to Perfection.
• 3 full-length practice tests (2 in the book and 1 online) with detailed answer explanations
• 220+ drill questions throughout the book
• Targeted math drills for geometry, quadratic equations, functions, and more
If you’re a student hoping to apply to medical school, you might be anxious or stressed about how best to prepare. What classes should you take? What kinds of research, clinical, and volunteer opportunities should you be pursuing? What grades and MCAT scores do you need? How can you stand out among thousands of applicants?
Premed Prep answers all these questions and more, with detailed case studies and insider tips that can help premed students authentically prepare and enjoy the journey from the very beginning. Sunny Nakae draws from her many years of experience as a medical school admissions dean to offer wise and compassionate advice that can help premed students of all backgrounds. She also has specific tips for students who are first-generation, minority, non-traditional, and undocumented.
Both forthright and supportive, Nakae’s advice is offered in a keep-it-real style that gives premed students a unique window into how admissions committees view and assess them. Premed Prep covers how to approach preparation with a focus on exploration and growth, and how to stop obsessing over med school application checklists. This book will do more than help you get a seat in medical school; it will start you on the process of becoming a successful future physician.
360 Degrees of Financial Literacy
A free program to help understand personal finances through every stage of life from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
Search for colleges and universities by major, location, type of college, financial aid and more.
A free college search tool that matches students to colleges fitting their educational, financial, and personality needs.
from the US Department of Education
Compare the cost and value of colleges in the US based on cost, graduation rate, employment rate, average amount borrowed, and loan default rate.
Complete one main application and send to participating colleges.
Guides to College, Careers, and More
Khan Academy is a free online educational site, and this links specifically to their college application, career, and personal finance resources.
Occupational Outlook Handbook
The US Department of Labor's guide to information about pay, job look, and more for 325 different types of jobs.
SAT Test Prep
Khan Academy is a free online educational site, and this links specifically to their extensive SAT prep tools.