If you’re getting ready for college, a career, or other parts of post high school life, check out some of these resources. Inside the library, you can visit our test prep section for books on the SAT and ACT, AP exams, college guides, financial aid and paying for college, scholarships, how to find the right college, and career guides.
College & Test Prep Books
Paying for College
A SMARTER WAY TO PAY FOR COLLEGE. Take control of your financial aid experience with this essential guide--the only annual guidebook with line-by-line instructions for completing the FAFSA aid forms!
Financing a college education is a daunting task no matter what your circumstances. With line-by-line instructions for filling out the FAFSA and consumer-friendly advice to minimize college costs, Paying for College helps you take control of your experience and:
- Learn how the new tax law affects financing your college education
- Maximize your financial aid eligibility
- Explore long- and short-term strategies to reduce college costs and avoid expensive mistakes
- Complete every question on the FAFSA and CSS Profile forms to your best advantage
- Compare aid offers and learn how to appeal them if necessary
- Plan strategically as a separated/divorced parent, blended family, or independent student
Cracking the SAT Premium Edition with 8 Practice Tests
THE ALL-IN-ONE SOLUTION FOR YOUR HIGHEST POSSIBLE SCORE—including 8 full-length practice tests for realistic prep, content reviews for all test sections, techniques for scoring success, and access to premium online extras.
Everything You Need to Know to Help Achieve a High Score.
· Comprehensive subject review for every section of the exam
· Valuable practice with complex reading comprehension passages and higher-level math problems
· Hands-on experience with all question types (multi-step problems, passage-based grammar questions, and more)
Practice Your Way to Perfection.
· 8 full-length practice tests (4 in the book, 4 online) with detailed answer explanations
· Drills for each test section—Reading, Writing and Language, and Math—plus writing exercises to help prepare for the Essay
· In-depth online score reports for all practice tests to help analyze and track your progress
Techniques That Actually Work.
· Powerful tactics to help you avoid traps and beat the SAT
· Pacing tips to help you maximize your time
· Detailed examples of how to employ each strategy to your advantage
Includes Access to Premium Online Exclusives:
· Videos to teach you SAT test-taking strategies and commonly-tested topics
· Access to college and university rankings, college admissions advice, and financial aid tips
· Multi-week study guides
· Special “SAT Insider” section packed with helpful info on picking your perfect school and writing essays that stand out
Make sense of college admissions and prepare a successful application
Admission Matters offers comprehensive, expert, and practical advice for parents and students to guide them through the college admissions process. From building a college list, to understanding standardized tests, to obtaining financial aid, to crafting personal statements, to making a final decision, this book guides you every step of the way with clear, sensible advice and practical tips. This new fourth edition has been completely updated to reflect the latest changes in college admissions. including new developments in standardized testing, applications, financial aid and more. Questionnaires, interactive forms, checklists, and other tools help you stay focused and organized throughout the process.. With the answers you need and a down-to-earth perspective, this book provides an invaluable resource for stressed-out students and parents everywhere.
Applying to college can be competitive and complex. Admission Matters offers real-world expert advice for all students, whether you're aiming an Ivy or the state school close to home. It also includes much needed guidance for students with special circumstances, including students with disabilities, international students, and transfer students. In addition, athletes, artists and performers, and homeschoolers will find valuable guidance as they plan for and apply to college.
- Understand how the admissions process works and what you can and cannot control
- Learn how to build a strong list of good-fit colleges
- Craft a strong application package with a compelling personal statement
- Get expert advice on early admissions, financial aid, standardized testing, and much more
- Make a final decision that is the right one for you
Whether you think you've got applying to college under control or don't even know where to begin, Admission Matters is your expert guide throughout the college admissions process.
8 Steps to Paying Less for College
FINANCIAL AID MADE EASY! This concise, easy-to-follow guide breaks the confusing college financial aid process down into 8 simple steps to help you afford your education.Alas, not everybody started saving for college when their kid was in diapers. But there's still hope--and help! This friendly guide distills the confusing financial aid process into 8 clear, actionable steps you can take RIGHT NOW to help afford college.
The underlying message is simple: Parents and students who understand how to apply for financial aid get more financial aid. Armed with the checklists, timelines, and info in this book, you'll be able to:
* Figure out what colleges actually cost
* Understand grants, loans, work-study, and other forms of aid
* Get to know the FAFSA® and CSS Profile(TM)
* Research scholarship opportunities
* Quickly compare financial aid offers from different schools
* Find creative ways to lighten your debt load
Note: This book is designed to be a quick primer covering the most useful core finanicial aid information. For students and parents looking for comprehensive, A-Z guidance--including long-term strategies and step-by-step help on the forms--check out Paying for College, The Princeton Review's classic and definitive guide to the A-to-Zs of financial aid.
The Ultimate Scholarship Book
Information on 1.5 million scholarships, grants, and prizes is easily accessible in this revised directory with more than 300 new listings that feature awards indexed by career goal, major, academics, public service, talent, athletics, religion, ethnicity, and more. Each entry contains all the necessary information for students and parents to complete the application process, including eligibility requirements, how to obtain an application, how to get more information about each award, sponsor website listings, award amounts, and key deadlines. With scholarships for high school, college, graduate, and adult students, this guide also includes tips on how to conduct the most effective search, how to write a winning application, and how to avoid scams.
Barron's AP Calculus
Barron’s AP Calculus is aligned with the current exam curriculum and provides comprehensive review and practice exams for both AP Calculus AB and BC.
This edition includes:
- Three practice exams for Calculus AB and three for Calculus BC, all modified to reflect the new exam format
- Answer explanations for all test questions
- Diagnostic tests to help pinpoint strengths and weaknesses
- Detailed subject review covering topics for both exams
- Advice to students on efficient use of their graphing calculators
Online Practice Test: Students will also get access to one additional full-length online AP Calculus test with all questions answered and explained.
Cracking the AP U.S. History Exam
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO HELP SCORE A PERFECT 5! Ace the AP U.S. History Exam with this comprehensive study guide—including 2 full-length practice tests with explanations, content reviews for all test topics, strategies for every question type, and access to online extras.
Techniques That Actually Work.
• Tried-and-true strategies to help you avoid traps and beat the test
• Tips for pacing yourself and guessing logically
• Essential tactics to help you work smarter, not harder
Everything You Need to Know to Help Achieve a High Score.
• Detailed coverage of the short-answer questions and source-based multiple-choice questions
• In-depth guidance on the document-based and long essay questions
• Up-to-date information on the AP U.S. History Exam
• Access to online study plans, a handy list of key terms and concepts, helpful pre-college information, and more
Practice Your Way to Excellence.
• 2 full-length practice tests with detailed answer explanations
• End-of-chapter review questions to test your retention of the material
• Pacing drills to help you maximize your points
Written by the experts at The Princeton Review, Cracking the AP U.S. History Exam arms you to take on the test and achieve your highest possible score.
Math and Science Prep for the SAT & ACT
THE PRINCETON REVIEW GETS RESULTS. Get all the prep you need to ace the math and science sections of the SAT and ACT with 2 books in 1! Includes 500+ practice questions and in-depth topic reviews.
Many students these days are taking both the SAT and ACT to improve their chances of college admission. For those looking to increase their mastery of the math and science sections of these tests, The Princeton Review's Math and Science Prep for the SAT & ACT provides all the practice you need to get the scores you want. Inside this book, you'll find the full information from two of our most targeted quantitative-focus workout books for these all-important college entrance exams.
Two Books in One!*
Math Workout for the SAT:
· Over 45 quizzes and problem sets for specific skill practice
· Detailed answers and explanations for each practice problem
· A thorough review of all SAT math topics, from algebra to statistics
· Key SAT math strategies and a breakdown of common SAT math mistakes
Math Science Workout for the ACT:
· 3 full-length practice sections (2 for Math and 1 for Science)
· Numerous drills with detailed answer explanations for each question
· Techniques for mastering the most common types of Math questions and guidance for attacking the Science test
· Comprehensive advice and tips from our ACT experts
*The material in this book was previously published as Math Workout for the SAT, 3rd Edition and as Math and Science Workout for the ACT, 2nd Edition.
The Official ACT Prep Guide 2019-2020
The only guide from the makers of the ACT exam, packed with 5 genuine, full-length practice tests and 400 additional questions online
This new edition includes:
- A NEW never-before-seen, full-length practice test with optional writing test (215 questions)
- 400 online questions that can be filtered and organized into custom practice sets
- Updated writing prompts and directions
- Real ACT test forms used in previous years
The Official ACT Prep Guide 2019-2020 is the only guide from the makers of the exam and includes actual ACT test forms taken from past ACT exams. This updated edition includes 5 actual ACT tests (all with optional writing test) to help you practice at your own pace and discover areas where you may need more work. The Official ACT Prep Guide 2019-2020 provides detailed explanations for every answer and practical tips on how to boost your score on the English, math, reading, science, and optional writing tests.
You’ll also get access to special online bonus content developed with the test taking experience in mind:
- Practice with 400 additional test questions that can be organized, filtered, and tracked for performance
- Take a closer look at test day, learn what to expect, and get familiar with the test-taking strategies that are right for you
The Official ACT Prep Guide 2019-2020 is your definitive guide to getting ready for the ACT and feeling confident and comfortable on test day!
It's the Student, Not the College
The future is in your hands—not Harvard's
TO: All students wondering “Can I get into my dream college?”
CC: All parents wondering “Can we afford it?”
FROM: Educational consultant Kristin M. White
MEMO: COLLEGE RANKINGS DON’T MATTER. This claim might sound crazy, but it’s true: Research shows that where you go to school makes little difference to future financial success or quality of life—personal qualities such as ambition, perseverance, and a sense of purpose are all more important.
Kristin M. White has helped hundreds of parents and students look beyond the dream-school hype and focus on what’s most important. Now, in It’s the Student, Not the College, she shows how to avoid unrepayable debt and set yourself up to grow, excel, and enjoy yourself at any school.
Instead of obsessing over GPA cutoffs and SAT scores, students will learn how to build a personal “Success Profile”—by adopting the traits that help stellar students make the grade in school and life. Plus . . .
- Why what you do in school counts more than where you go
- 14 surefire ways to develop your Success Profile as a student and beyond
- Criteria to consider when choosing a college
- How to find a good fit for your family’s finances
- And tips for graduating career-ready and landing a great first job.
Expensive, elite colleges have too much sway over the minds and bank accounts of students and parents. It’s the Student, Not the College breaks that stranglehold—and reveals the real secrets of success.
A free program to help understand personal finances through every stage of life from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
A free college search tool that matches students to colleges fitting their educational, financial, and personality needs.
Complete one main application and send to participating colleges.
The US Department of Labor's guide to information about pay, job look, and more for 325 different types of jobs.