If you’re getting ready for college, a career, or other parts of post high school life, check out some of these resources. Inside the library, you can visit our test prep section for books on the SAT and ACT, AP exams, college guides, financial aid and paying for college, scholarships, how to find the right college, and career guides.
College & Test Prep Books
The Best 387 Colleges 2022
NO ONE KNOWS COLLEGES LIKE THE PRINCETON REVIEW! This comprehensive guide to the nation's best colleges provides in-depth profiles on schools and tons of helpful student-driven details that will help you or your student choose their best-fit colleges!
The Princeton Review's college rankings started in 1992 with surveys from 30,000 students. 30 years and more than a million student surveys later, we stand by our claim that there is no single "best" college, only the best college for you ... and that this is the book that will help you find it!
STRAIGHT FROM STUDENTS TO YOU
- 387 in-depth school profiles based on candid feedback from 154,000 students, covering academics, administration, campus life, and financial aid
- Insights on unique college character, social scene, and more
LISTS & RATINGS SCORES
- Lists of great colleges in 26 popular categories that have continually appeared in our best-of ranking lists over the last 30 years, including academics, campus life, facilities, and more
- Ratings for every school on Financial Aid, Selectivity, and Quality of Life
DETAILED ADMISSIONS INFORMATION
- The "Inside Word" on competitive applications, test scores, tuition, and average indebtedness
- Comprehensive information on selectivity, freshman profiles, and application deadlines at each school
Plus! Free access to 2 full-length practice tests online (1 SAT and 1 ACT) to help you prep for the important admissions-exams part of your admissions journey.
Bound-for-Career Guidebook: A Student Guide to Career Exploration, Decision Making, and the Job Search
The Bound-for-Career Guidebook views career identification, selection, entry, and progression as part of a larger developmental process—the career development process. In this guidebook for adolescents and young adults, the author outlines the experiences and tasks that will facilitate the career development process and lead to satisfaction and success. The reader will be exposed to the various educational and career transitions they must consider on the path to the workplace and specific guidance is offered on how to maximize entry and advancement.
Along the career exploration, decision-making, and preparation path, the author answers frequently asked questions and offers an array of facts and myths that need to be considered. Empowered individuals are better able to guide themselves through their personal career journey. The reader’s command of the information in the Bound-for-Career Guidebook will give them that power!
A Guide to Writing College Admissions Essays
This book is a guide for students writing their college admissions essays, primarily the 650-word Common App essay and supplementary essays that many schools require as part of their admission applications. With more students applying to college, and those students applying to more schools than ever before, college admission selection is far more competitive than in the past and the college essay is a key component.
We offer suggestions on good topics to write about without getting too specific (and just as importantly what not to write about), vital tips on writing approach, grammar, and usage. This guide can be for anyone who wants to write better, more clearly and crisply. If used properly, this book will help you craft a readable, interesting essay that will attract the college admissions reader by giving you a creative voice and the means to express yourself. No guarantees, but it just might make a difference in the final admission process.
Princeton Review PSAT/NMSQT Prep 2021
THE PRINCETON REVIEW GETS RESULTS. Get all the prep you need to ace the PSAT/NMSQT with 3 full-length practice tests, thorough PSAT topic reviews, and everything you need to know about National Merit Scholarships.
Techniques That Actually Work.
• Time-saving tips to help you effectively tackle the exam
• Problem-solving tactics demonstrated on the trickiest test questions
• Point-earning strategies for multiple-choice questions
Everything You Need to Know to Help Achieve a High Score.
• Up-to-date information on the PSAT/NMSQT
• Comprehensive review for every section of the test
• Key information and advice about National Merit Scholarships and the College Board's Opportunity Scholarships
• Special section on additional math topics to ensure you have all the practice and review you need
Practice Your Way to Perfection.
• 3 full-length practice tests (2 in the book and 1 online) with detailed answer explanations
• 220+ drill questions throughout the book
• Targeted math drills for geometry, quadratic equations, functions, and more
If you’re a student hoping to apply to medical school, you might be anxious or stressed about how best to prepare. What classes should you take? What kinds of research, clinical, and volunteer opportunities should you be pursuing? What grades and MCAT scores do you need? How can you stand out among thousands of applicants?
Premed Prep answers all these questions and more, with detailed case studies and insider tips that can help premed students authentically prepare and enjoy the journey from the very beginning. Sunny Nakae draws from her many years of experience as a medical school admissions dean to offer wise and compassionate advice that can help premed students of all backgrounds. She also has specific tips for students who are first-generation, minority, non-traditional, and undocumented.
Both forthright and supportive, Nakae’s advice is offered in a keep-it-real style that gives premed students a unique window into how admissions committees view and assess them. Premed Prep covers how to approach preparation with a focus on exploration and growth, and how to stop obsessing over med school application checklists. This book will do more than help you get a seat in medical school; it will start you on the process of becoming a successful future physician.
Colleges Worth Your Money: A Guide to What America's Top Schools Can Do For You
Colleges Worth Your Money: A Guide to What America's Top Schools Can Do for You is an invaluable guide for students making the crucial decision of where to attend college when our thinking about higher education is radically changing. At a time when costs are soaring and competition for admission is higher than ever, the college-bound need to know how prospective schools will benefit them both as students and after graduation.
Colleges Worth Your Money provides the most up-to-date, accurate, and comprehensive information for gauging the ROI of America's top schools, including:
- In-depth profiles of 175 of the top colleges and universities across the U.S.
- Over 75 key statistics about each school that cover unique admissions-related data points such as gender-specific acceptance rates, early decision acceptance rates, and five-year admissions trends at each college.
- The solid facts on career outcomes, including the school's connections with recruiters, the rate of employment post-graduation, where students land internships, the companies most likely to hire students from a particular school, and much more.
- Data and commentary on each college's merit and need-based aid awards, average student debt, and starting salary outcomes.
- Top Colleges for America's Top Majors lists highlighting schools that have the best programs in 40+ disciplines.
- Lists of the "Top Feeder" undergraduate colleges into medical school, law school, tech, journalism, Wall Street, engineering, and more.
The Fiske Guide to Colleges 2022
"The best college guide you can buy."―USA Today
Every college and university has a story, and no one tells those stories like former New York Times education editor Edward B. Fiske. That's why, for nearly 40 years, the Fiske Guide to Colleges has been the leading guide to 320+ four-year schools, including quotes from real students and information you won't find on college websites.
Fully updated and expanded every year, Fiske is the most authoritative source of information for college-bound students and their parents. Helpful, honest, and straightforward, the Fiske Guide to Colleges delivers an insider's look at what it's really like to be a student at the "best and most interesting" schools in the United States, plus Canada, Great Britain, and Ireland―so you can find the best fits for you.
- In addition to detailed and candid stories on each school, you will find:
- A self-quiz to help you understand what you are really looking for in a college
- Lists of strong programs and popular majors at each college
- "Overlap" listings to help you expand your options
- Indexes that break down schools by state, price, and average debt
- Exclusive academic, social, and quality-of-life ratings
- All the basics, including financial aid stats, and acceptance rates
Plus a special section highlighting the 20 public and private Best Buy schools―colleges that provide the best educational value
The Official ACT Prep Guide 2021-2022
THE OFFICIAL ACT® PREP GUIDE 2021-2022
The comprehensive guide to the 2021-2022 ACT® test, with 6 genuine, full-length practice tests in print and online.
This 2021-2022 guide includes six actual ACT® tests – all of which contain the optional writing test – that you can use to practice at your own pace. To help you review test subjects and improve your understanding, this guide provides clear explanations for every answer. You’ll also get practical tips for boosting your score on the English, math, reading, and science tests, as well as the optional writing test. Additionally, you can access the six tests online through the access code provided in the guide. The code also provides access to 400 online flashcards to help you prepare for all sections in the ACT® examination.
The test’s creators filled this guide with expert advice on how to both mentally and physically prepare for the exam. It will also help you:
- Review the entire ACT® test content so you’ll know what to expect on test day
- Understand the procedures you’ll follow when you’re taking the ACT®
- Prepare for the types of questions you can expect to find on the test
- Adopt test-taking strategies that are right for you
The Official ACT® Prep Guide 2021-2022 is the best resource to prepare you for test day. By using this guide you can feel comfortable that you’re prepared to do your best!
ACT Total Prep 2022
ACT Total Prep 2022, Kaplan’s biggest ACT prep book, has the most content review, efficient strategies, and realistic practice to help you score higher. We have everything you need in one big book, plus a full year of access to online resources—including more practice tests, a bigger Qbank than ever (500 questions), and video lessons—to help you master each section of the ACT.
Kaplan is an Official Teaching Partner of the ACT.
We're so certain that ACT Total Prep 2022 offers all the guidance you need to excel on the ACT that we guarantee it: after studying with our online resources and book, you'll score higher on the ACT—or you'll get your money back.
- 6 full-length Kaplan practice tests with detailed answer explanations (2 printed in the book and 4 tests online)
- More than 2,000 practice questions with detailed explanations, including an expanded online Qbank
- 4 Test Yourself sections — test-like practice on mixed topics to ensure you learn the material, unit by unit
- One-year access to our online center with additional quizzes and videos to help guide your study
- Pre-quizzes to help you figure out what you already know and what you can skip
- Expert scoring, analysis, and explanations online for one official ACT Practice Test
- Mixed practice quizzes after every chapter to assess how much you’ve learned
- A practice question at the beginning of each lesson to help you quickly identify its focus and dedicated practice questions after every lesson to test your comprehension
- “On Test Day” strategy notes in every math chapter to help you remember that the ACT math test is primarily a strategy test
- “Reflect” pages that help you evaluate your comfort level with the topics and make a plan for improving before the test after completing each chapter
- Online study-planning tool helps you target your prep no matter how much time you have before the test.
- We know the test: Our learning engineers have put tens of thousands of hours into studying the ACT, and we use real data to design the most effective strategies and study plans.
- Kaplan's books and practice questions are written by veteran teachers who know students—every explanation is written to help you learn.
- We invented test prep—Kaplan (kaptest.com) has been helping students for over 80 years.
Princeton Review SAT Prep 2022
SUCCEED ON THE SAT WITH THE PRINCETON REVIEW! With 6 full-length practice tests (4 in the book and 2 online), in-depth reviews for all exam content, and strategies for scoring success, SAT Prep, 2022 covers every facet of this challenging and important test.
Techniques That Actually Work.
- Powerful tactics to help you avoid traps and beat the SAT
- Pacing tips to help you maximize your time
- Detailed examples showing how to employ each strategy to your advantage
Everything You Need to Know to Help Achieve a High Score.
- Comprehensive subject review for every section of the exam
- Valuable practice with complex reading comprehension passages and higher-level math problems
- Hands-on experience with all question types, including multi-step problems, passage-based grammar questions, and more
Practice Your Way to Excellence.
- 6 full-length practice tests (4 in the book & 2 online) with detailed answer explanations
- Drills for each test section (Reading, Writing and Language, and Math)
- In-depth online score reports for all practice tests
A free program to help understand personal finances through every stage of life from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
A free college search tool that matches students to colleges fitting their educational, financial, and personality needs.
Complete one main application and send to participating colleges.
The US Department of Labor's guide to information about pay, job look, and more for 325 different types of jobs.