Since our July 20, 2020 reopening, we've made evolving changes along the way in order to best serve you and other members of our community while maintaining your and staff safety. Please read on to see what changes are currently taking place.
The Staff of the Southbury Public Library
FACE MASKS & SOCIAL DISTANCING
As of August 16th, 2021, masks are required for patrons ages 2 and up inside the library at all times, regardless of vaccination status. Please click here to see the First Selectman's statement. If you need a mask, please ask a staff member and we will provide one for you.
Plexiglass dividers have been installed on study tables and between each of our public computers.
Those with younger children must stay together at all times. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult on the same floor.
We have returned to our regular hours on both floors of the library. For the month of August and through Labor Day weekend, our hours are as follows:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9:30am-5:30pm
Tuesday, Thursday: 9:30am-9:00pm
Saturday and Sunday: Closed (in keeping with our usual summer hours)
After Labor Day Weekend, we will reopen on Saturdays and Sundays (9:30am-4:00pm on Saturdays and 12:00pm-5:00pm on Sundays)
Hand sanitizer is available at circulation desks and other popular locations.
We offer curbside service by appointment. We strongly encourage those who are uncomfortable entering the building and those who are unable to properly wear face coverings to take advantage of this alternate service or to call us to give a friend or family member permission to pick up books for you. Please click here to learn more about our curbside service.
CHANGES TO OUR SERVICES
We are continuing to reintroduce services with the safety of the public and our staff in mind. Please ask a staff member if you would like us to sanitize a table, computer, or any other area before you use it.
Here are just a few of our most recent additions to our services:
- Indoor book returns are now available.
- Second floor study tables are now available.
- Additional study seating has been added to the first floor.
- The Friends of the Library Lobby Book Sale has been reopened. Exact change or checks are required.
- Virtual programming for all ages is up and running! Please visit our events page to see what's new and register for our Zoom programs.
- Magazines are available to check out and bring home.
- Value Line is now available for use while in the library. Please note that the binders are quarantined for a minimum of 72 hours after each use.
- Newspapers are now available to read in the fireplace room. Be sure to use hand sanitizer before and after reading.
Please see the following list of services that remain unavailable:
- On the Second Floor:
- Junior Friends Book Sale
- Puzzles and games
- Water fountains
- The Friends of the Library's coffee station
BORROWING & RETURNING ITEMS
Books may be returned to the outside book drop or to any of our indoor book returns. You may still place items on hold from home online or via phone. If you don’t feel comfortable entering the building at this time, please call our Reference Desk at 203-262-0626 ext. 130 to arrange a curbside pickup appointment.
All DVDs owned by the Southbury Library check out for two weeks. Please note that DVDs requested from other libraries as well as our rotating circuit DVD collection check out for one week. Starting after Labor Day, all DVDs will once again check out for one week. Fines will resume on January 2, 2022.