Since our July 20, 2020 reopening, we've made evolving changes along the way in order to best serve you and other members of our community while maintaining your and staff safety. Please read on to see what changes are currently taking place.
The Staff of the Southbury Public Library
NEW SAFETY POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Starting Monday, June 7 our hours are as follows on both floors until further notice:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9:30am-5:30pm
Tuesday, Thursday: 9:30am-9:00pm
Saturday: 9:30am-4:00pm (we will be closed Saturdays in August through Labor Day Weekend in keeping with our usual summer hours)
Hand sanitizer will be provided at the Main Entrance and at other popular locations.
FACE MASKS & SOCIAL DISTANCING
Masks are recommended but not required unless you are not fully vaccinated (two weeks after your last vaccination dose). Anyone who is not yet fully vaccinated must continue to wear masks at all times, including all children between the ages of 2 and 11. If you do not have a mask and either need or would like one, we can provide you with one.
Those with younger children must stay together at all times. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult on the same floor.
CHANGES TO OUR SERVICES
We are continuing to reintroduce services with the safety of the public and our staff in mind. Please ask a staff member if you would like us to sanitize a table, computer, or any other area before you use it.
Here are just a few of our most recent additions to our services:
- Second floor study tables are now available.
- Additional study seating has been added to the first floor.
- The Friends of the Library Lobby Book Sale has been reopened. Exact change or checks are required.
- Virtual programming for all ages is up and running! Please visit our events page to see what's new and register for our Zoom programs.
- Magazines are available to check out and bring home.
- Value Line is now available for use while in the library. Please note that the binders are quarantined for a minimum of 72 hours after each use.
- Newspapers are now available to read in the fireplace room. Be sure to use hand sanitizer before and after reading.
Please see the following list of services that remain unavailable:
- On the Second Floor:
- Junior Friends Book Sale
- Puzzles and games
- Water fountains
- The Friends of the Library's coffee station
BORROWING & RETURNING ITEMS
All inside book returns are currently closed. Please return all materials in the outside book return. Upon return, all materials will be quarantined for at least 48 hours; no fines will be charged for quarantine periods. You may still place items on hold from home online or via phone. If you don’t feel comfortable entering the building at this time, please call our Reference Desk at 203-262-0626 ext. 130 to arrange a curbside pickup appointment.
All DVDs owned by the Southbury Library check out for two weeks. Please note that DVDs requested from other libraries as well as our rotating circuit DVD collection check out for one week.
We offer curbside service by appointment. We strongly encourage those who are uncomfortable entering the building and those who are unable to properly wear face coverings to take advantage of this alternate service or to call us to give a friend or family member permission to pick up books for you. Please click here to learn more about our curbside service.