We've really missed having patrons in the library and are very excited to have been reopened to the public since July 22nd. In order to best serve you and other members of community while maintaining your safety and staff safety, some significant changes to our services, hours, and building capacity have been made. Please read on to see what changes are taking place.
The Staff of the Southbury Public Library
NEW SAFETY POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Our hours have been changed to:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9:30am-4:30pm
Tuesday, Thursday: 9:30am-6:30pm (The second floor closes at 4:30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Children's and teen library materials can still be requested from home via our catalog here or by calling 203-262-0626 ext. 3 for convenient pick up as hold items at the First Floor Circulation Desk.)
Hand sanitizer will be provided at the Main Entrance and at other popular locations. If you do not have a mask, we are happy to provide you with one at the front desk.
CHANGES TO OUR SERVICES
We are continuing to reintroduce services with the safety of the public and our staff in mind. Please ask a staff member if you would like us to sanitize a table, computer, or any other area before you use it.
Here are just a few of our most recent additions to our services:
- Second floor study tables are now available.
- Additional study seating has been added to the first floor.
- The Friends of the Library Lobby Book Sale has been reopened. Exact change or checks are required.
- Virtual programming for all ages is up and running! Please visit our events page to see what's new and register for our Zoom programs.
- Magazines are available to check out and bring home.
- Value Line is now available for use while in the library. Please note that the binders are quarantined for a minimum of 72 hours after each use.
Please see the following list of services that remain unavailable:
- On the second floor:
- Junior Friends Book Sale
- Puzzles and games
- Water fountains
- The Friends of the Library's coffee station.
- Recent editions of newspapers. If you would like older copies to take home and keep, please call the reference desk at 203-262-0626 ext 130.
FACE MASKS & SOCIAL DISTANCING
For everyone’s safety and protection, we ask that all patrons aged 2 and older wear a mask fully covering the nose and mouth at all times. If you don’t have one, we can provide you with one. Please follow the directional arrows on the floor and maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet at all times.
Those with younger children must stay together at all times. All patrons, regardless of age, are held to the same social distancing standards for people outside their households; if your child is too young or is otherwise unable to manage their own social distancing and safe hygiene practices, we need you to be with them to help them maintain this for their safety and everyone else’s. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult on the same floor.
BORROWING & RETURNING ITEMS
All inside book returns are currently closed. Please return all materials in the outside book return. Upon return, all materials will be quarantined for at least 72 hours; no fines will be charged for quarantine periods. You may still place items on hold from home online or via phone. You may browse the shelves for items, but lingering is not encouraged. If you don’t feel comfortable entering the building at this time, please call our Reference Desk at 203-262-0626 ext. 130 to arrange a curbside pickup appointment.
All DVDs owned by the Southbury Library check out for two weeks. Please note that DVDs requested from other libraries as well as our rotating circuit DVD collection check out for one week.
We offer curbside service by appointment. We strongly encourage those who are uncomfortable entering the building and those who are unable to properly wear face coverings to take advantage of this alternate service or to call us to give a friend or family member permission to pick up books for you.
Please review our basic guidelines below and click here for more detail.
- Please contact the reference department ahead of time to schedule your pickup appointment and request materials if you have not already done so:
- Phone: 203-262-0626 ext 130
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com
- Call the reference desk when you arrive to let us know the make, model, and color of your car and where you are parked.
- Please stay in your car during your pickup.
- Please keep your front windows rolled up. We can check your photo ID or library card through the window and drop off your materials in your trunk.
- If you are having someone pick up your materials for you either via curbside service or at the front desk, call us ahead of time so we know who to expect.